TRANSFORM THE HEART OF THE HOME
Laura Anderson for The West Sussex County Times
Our living room is the place we go to unwind with our family or entertain our friends, so it should feel inviting and timeless - which is often easier said than done. Our list of ten simple changes you can make in your living room will help to inject it with elegance, style and personality.
1. Invest in new cushions for your sofa for an instant and affordable room refreshment.
Try mixing neutral cushion covers with patterned ones, using contrasting textiles like linen and cotton, or buying a Limited Edition Artistic Cushion to really stand out.
2. Strip back fussy wallpaper, get rid of dark or overly bright colours, and instead paint your living room walls and ceiling a crisp, sophisticated white.
3. If you have a small window, invest in a new blind to let in the light while giving you privacy when it’s needed. As an added bonus, switching from curtains to a blind can make a small room seem much bigger.
4. Add a statement rug to your living room floor for an injection of cosiness and style
5. Enliven your living room and make it truly unique by investing in some new artwork. Look to local artists and designers for affordable, original artworks that will be exclusive to your home.
6. Rip up your tired old carpet and replace with a solid timber floor to make the room feel bigger, brighter, and more elegant.
7. Try some full length linen curtains to filter the sunlight during the day, and make the room feel warm and friendly by night. Think soft colours, sophisticated designs and cool linen for a timeless look.
8. Dedicate one wall in the living room to being your statement wall, by making it a gallery for your personal photos, decorating it with luxury wallpaper, or painting it a single, bold colour.
9. If you have a couch or antique chair you love, get it reupholstered to give it a new lease of life and transform the look of your living room. High quality linen is the perfect fabric for upholstering sofas and armchairs.
10. De-clutter the room as much as you can to help create a relaxing space: buy a vintage travel trunk to store kids toys, get a coffee table with built-in storage, or put souvenirs or knickknacks in another room or on a quirky display shelf.
At the Linen Shop and Gallery in Horsham you’ll find a range of unique beautiful linen products designed by local artist and weaver Fran White. Get in touch today for custom fitted curtains, limited edition cushions, and bespoke re- upholstering, and help make your living room the heart of your home again.
Summer 2015 - Our fabrics in the film Mr Holmes http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/local/horsham-shop-plays-part-in-new-hollywood-movie-1-6865977
ETC magazine wrote this article about us in the August 2013 issue. Click here to read it.
ALL ABOUT HORSHAM [AAH] magazine wrote an article about Fran and The Linen Shop.
click here to read it.
Hidden Gems- Jasper napkins as featured in House & Garden magazine